Wednesday, May 18, 2011

187. planted like a tree

I was about 5 when I started attending Relate Church. I’m 19 now and ever since the first day I walked into those doors, I never looked back. I ran into those doors just waiting to want to leave because the first church I went to was all Spanish and was so boring for me, but my first experience there was nothing short of perfect. I was welcomed into the class with open arms, and made friends really quickly. I remember meeting Terrence and Sterling who basically knew each other since birth, and even though I was a little girl, they included me in whatever they did. We played games and it was heaps of fun. That was the first real time that I knew I belonged.



They say that belonging comes naturally, but I think that it takes people and a grounded place to belong. I know that without being planted, my life wouldn’t be where it is today. I have had so many highs in the church, and also so many lows. I’ve been raised not only by my parents, but by so many other people. I feel as though I belong to a community of parents and people willing to invest in my life. I know that if my mom isn’t present when I make a mistake, that there are other people that will be there to stick by my side. It’s a home where I can go without having the worry of belonging. There is no judgement, only love.



So, this is why I stay. I have found a love. A love of people, community, and of course, Jesus. The people in my life that have invested and continue investing in it, are people that I have grown to love and cherish with all I have. They have been there in my crappy times, and in my awesome times. They’ve been there when I needed someone to listen and when I needed to listen to someone. They don’t hold back on telling me if I am ever wrong and I love that. I am confident that the people I have now like, Gabbi, Nicky, Paul and Edmond, are people that will stay in my life for a lifetime. If I’m willing to invest in them, I know that they are willing to invest in me.



So I am thankful for all I have been given and all the things I have received from Relate, the people-teachings-pastors-friends-family-life groups-youth and most importantly, my relationship with Jesus. I stay because I want to invest, and be an example. I’m sure that other churches are just as awesome as ours, but it doesn’t matter because this is where I am planted, and where Jesus wanted to plant me. I am willing to do whatever it takes to grow the kingdom of Jesus, and I pray that you are willing too.

No comments:

Post a Comment